Sunday, April 28, 2013

Vintage Mermaid Poster Original Painting by Elisa Chong


Hi everyone! I finally have a chance to update my blog and to show you a new mermaid painting!

 This mermaid painting was created for the Namta international art show in Minneapolis, as part of Chartpack's display booth.


Celebrating 100 years of Clearprint, the idea they wanted me to paint was a mermaid, in a vintage style for this poster, using Clearprint Vellum paper. It will be displayed in a clear frame, think of putting two pieces of glass to hold the poster together. And light will be lighting the poster from behind. Think of a paper lantern look for how the art will be shown.

 I did not do any preliminary sketches for this vintage mermaid poster painting. I just picked up my mechanical pencil and started doodling on the Clearprint Vellum bristol board.

Clearprint Vellum Bristol reminds me of the papyrus used in ancient Egypt, but it is a bit more transparent and smooth to the touch. The texture is like a thick wax paper, and delicately soft at the same time. It is soft and silky to the touch, and works great with pencils, inks, watercolors and other art materials.

This poster was about 30 x 40 inches in size. Pretty big! I had a seven day deadline. It took me seven days to complete, ten hours a day, from the original pencil drawing to the layers and layers of colorful Higgins inks I used. I was on a tight deadline, and I am so glad I made it in time and shipped it back by UPS, just in time for the show.

I never do preliminary sketches when I paint. I just grab my  mechanical pencil and start doodling lines until the image I want ends up on the paper. I just let my imagination flow to come up with a beautiful painting.

 I was going to ink the entire image using Koh-I-Noor ink pens, before painting it, as I usually do in my unique style, but I did not have enough time due to the deadline. So I decided to use my other style of pencil and colorful inks.

I was on a tight deadline. I was able to finish painting it in seven days, and ship it back to Chartpak so they can get it ready for the show.

I imagined drawing a pretty little mermaid in vintage style, sitting in a surreal scene, in the depths of the crystal blue seas, surrounded by fragrant red roses that grow under the sea!


She is wearing a pretty sea shell halter top, adorned with pearls and jewels. There are colorful seaweed surrounding her, as she enjoys taking a break from swimming. She loves it when the gentle movement of the sea waves plays with her silky soft long hair.


Koh-I-Noor rapidograph pens




 I love using Koh-I-Noor inks to make my paintings stand out. I love their waterproof inks on paper and film. I apply them to my drawings, before I add layers and layers of watercolors.

I have been using Koh-I-Noor pens for over more than ten years in my artwork. Coming from an 2d animation background, this is my most favorite inking pen to use. It gives the the most vibrant and smoothest ink lines in my art.
 
 I used energized flowing lines when applying the colorful Higgins ink, with my paint brush, with long brush strokes. I love how vibrant the Higgins inks are! And they glide smoothly over the paper. They act like liquid watercolors. A lot of fun to play with! And you can layer the colors to create a different color.

Did you know they are fade proof? Specially the lemon yellow color, it is very brilliant! The entire poster was painted with colorful Higgins inks. To stay with the vintage mermaid art theme, I chose to use blues, greens,purples, pinks, yellow and orange, to give it a not too colorful look. I had fun playing and mixing all the colors used for this painting. Drying time for the inks was not bad at all. And once they are dry, the colors are very vibrant.

One thing to watch out for is, the Higgins inks will stain your clothes, so be sure to wear an apron, and latex gloves, so you don't mess up your favorite shirts and your hands. But be sure to have fun with these colorful inks, I love using them to paint my mermaids with them. They turn out so fun and colorful!

After the colored ink was applied and completely dry on the paper, I went back with a kneaded eraser to clean up some of the pencil lines to bring out the white areas in the painting.
I added brown ink to her eye lids and eye lashes, to make her look a bit prettier.


Since this poster was very large, and the Clearprint Vellum paper tends to curl up a little bit, I was afraid of  wrinkling or creasing the paper too much if I laid it on a table and painted over it, so I had to put it on a large clip board, on an easel and paint it stading up.

I found out This is a good way to loose weight, by painting while standing up for hours. I did burn some calories while creating this painting, so it's all good. I usually paint sitting down on a drawing table. I was listening to my favorite electronic music by Paul Van Dyk and the Namco sound team in my Ipod while I worked on this painting. I love to have fun when I create my art, and I am pretty happy with how this vintage mermaid painting turned out!


Check out Higgins inks facebook page for more information about their fabulous colorful inks!

I really like the Clearprint vellum paper. It is thin enough to be rolled up and  placed in a tube for mailing. And you can use it with clear glass frames, or large toploaders and display the art almost like a stained glass painting!

I can't wait to see how this vintage mermaid poster sized painting looks in a clear frame and illuminated with lights!   Suddenly I am thinking of colorful glass paintings!

Clearprint Vellum paper works great with Higgins inks and Grumbacher watercolors! This paper has a delicate texture that reminds me of the papyrus used in ancient Egypt. I am going to use Clearprint Vellum in my new paintings. Love how the art turns out on it! Can't wait to try it for my watercolor Aceo paintings!

For more information, check out the Clearprint facebook page!

I suggest you try getting some Clearprint Vellum paper and try it for yourself for your drawings, illustrations or paintings! It works great with watercolors, pencils, markers and Higgins inks too!






Here is a photo of the painting on the left, already mounted in a clear frame and ready for the NAMTA show. I hope everyone enjoys this painting! I truly had a lot of fun creating it!

Thank you so much, Chartpak inc, Jen and Higgins for this awesome opportunity! I had so much fun creating this painting! Be sure to check it out in person at the NAMTA show!  There is so much detail the  camera did not pick up. It looks even more detailed and colorful when seen in person!

Fans, would you be interested in prints of this painting? Just let me know!
I am super busy this month working on a few sketch card sets and some art for a charity auction. And some new mermaid paintings too.

Coming soon: new sketch card art by yours truly for Moonshine Missies and Island Dreams 3 by Marty and Boo cards! Once the art is approved I will be showing them here.

For now, enjoy my newest art I created for Sketchfest:
Sofianime Original Sketchfest Art

Click Here for New Aceo XR Art! 

 Have a great day, everyone! enjoy the art and check back soon for the new aceo art and nw paintings!
Sending much love to you all! :)

~Elisa Chong

No comments: